Swelling and burning lips, seldom drinks water. Eliminated eggs, grapes, cheese, fish, mushrooms changed face cream and toothpaste. Advice?

Pulmonologist
Question
My lips swell, burn and get sore , get better after a few days, then peel a little .Take Reactine - can't find the food problem...hurts. Off and on all winter. Have eliminated several foods...eggs, grapes, cheese, all fish, mushrooms crackers...changed face cream, changed toothpaste. My lips feel like they are sunburned or I have been in the desert! Now I'm wondering if I have enough water. I seldom drink, only with dinner....
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX
Swelling of lips can have several causes like angioedema, cold sores/ herpes labialis, allergic reaction, contact dermatitis etc.
Since in your case it remained recurrent despite allergic precautions, it seems very much to be herpes labialis.
I wish if you tell me was it associated with swelling of tongue, fingers or other body parts, wheezing, difficulty in swallowing etc. Was it aggravated on taking some foodstuffs or coming in contact of something or is there any family history.
You may need to go allergic testing, complete blood count including absolute eosinophil count, C1 esterase level in blood if it is hereditary, tests for herpes virus like serology or tzank smear of the secretion from sore when you have symptoms.
Treatment depends on cause. Avoiding the known allergy causing stuffs, taking antihistamainics like cetrizine (reactin), and cold compresses helps. Since I have strong suspicion of herpes you may try topical antiviral along with oral tablets like acyclovir, fanciciclovir etc. on the start of symptoms. They will definitely ease the healing......

Hopefully you got your query answered....
Best wishes

Follow-up: Swelling and burning lips, seldom drinks water. Eliminated eggs, grapes, cheese, fish, mushrooms changed face cream and toothpaste. Advice? 13 hours later
You ask about other swelling - none other - a bit of tingly tongue. No breathing problems. In 2009 I had allergy testing because I had a lighter version of this same. During this past winter the symptoms have been more severe. Allergy tests shows nothing conclusive in 2009 - Possibly some shellfish - (I haven't eaten any for a couple of months, and still have symptoms) What makes it come and go, as if I am eating something suspect? I just get it cleared up and back it comes....
you asked also about sores. There are no open sore involved and I have never had even 1 coldsore...

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 11 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,

Well I think to have a strong possibility of herpes labialis as I mentioned before.
I advise you to XXXXXXX your dermatologist when it comes again because diagnosis can be made at that time only. You can try antiviral medication like acyclovir, fanciclovir after consulting him/her. Actually they speed up healing and prevent too much of sore.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Swelling and burning lips, seldom drinks water. Eliminated eggs, grapes, cheese, fish, mushrooms changed face cream and toothpaste. Advice? 32 hours later
But I have never had an open sore.

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 17 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,
Herpes may present without an open sore. I think you must try the advised medicine whenever you have recurrence. Speeding up of healing process will itself diagnose it or else you can go for viral serological tests first during that episode.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Swelling and burning lips, seldom drinks water. Eliminated eggs, grapes, cheese, fish, mushrooms changed face cream and toothpaste. Advice? 45 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Will blood test reveal anything if there isn't a 'flare-up'?

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 19 minutes later
complete blood count may reveal increased eosinophils if you have allergy. Regarding herpes it is recommended to be tested during flare ups only.

Thanks