Swelling and bruise on foot and ankle after an injury. Is running advised?

I banged my XXXXXXX in a poor ziplining 'landing'. Very pronounced local swelling and bruise that has now moved into my foot and ankle. Moderate foot ankle swelling. No problem with putting weight on leg and ankle mobility only slightly limited due to swelling. I want to go for a run, but am worried about blood clots, etc. Cause for concern?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 15 hours later

The swelling and bruise is common to develop after an injury, the symptoms are expected to take a week or two to subside.When any part of the leg gets injured, there is inflammation due to which the draining lymphatics increase more fluids and hence the swelling does collect up to ankle.

I suggest you to get an examination done from a doctor, and you may need a TETANUS injection to prevent problems, and an antibiotic cover as well, the doctor may also include a pain killer and a Seratiopeptidase combination, to aid in quicker healing and to reduce the swelling.A check X XXXXXXX of the leg and ankle may be needed.

I would suggest you not to take part in running for now, if you do so, it will worsen your condition , the tissue need a lot of rest and time to heal, if any extra movement or stress like running, etc is done , it may interfere with the healing process.

Do not worry about the blood clots, they will resolve with time , in the meantime, you can do your daily activities as well.

I hope I answered your query

I will be available to answer any further queries.

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.