Swelling above and below the sock ring on one leg. Reason and cure?

Only my left leg leaves sock rings.
It seems to leave swelling above and below the sock ring and only on the left leg.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 40 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

My name is Dr Omer and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also I am sorry to hear about your problem.

First of all I would say unilateral leg swelling is always better than both leg swelling, as you have mentioned your age of 70 years male, Chronic Venous Insufficiency is the most common cause because of long standing time the vessels valves of the legs become weak and water starts to accumulate as soon as you stand up and decreases when you lye down.

Single leg swelling can also mean an obstruction of the vessel in your left leg causing back pressure and hence water retention which you see as sock ring left around your leg, the vessel mostly involved is calf vessels, knee vessel or thigh vessels and mostly a thrombus obstructing it, as your age is 70 years. Get a Doppler scan of your leg.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, if you have any question; please ask because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied. I will be glad to assist you always.