Sweaty anus and scrotum at night, itchy, bleeding upon scratching. Applied Daktacort. Want opinion.

I have had a problem of sweaty anus and sweaty scrotum for about a year. This problem only occurs at night. Both areas can get very itchy with the result that I scatch them in my sleep. Sometime I break the skin and cause bleeding with the scratching. Sometimes one or the other area gets drenched in sweat and the sheet get wet.

I have been prescribed Daktacort 2%/1% /w/ cream. This stops the itching for a few nights, but when I stop using the cream the problem returns. I have had a colonoscopy, which was all clear. The surgeon suggested contacting a skin specialist, but I would like your opinion first.

I think I am supposed to use the Daktacort for 7 days contunuous, but I tend to stop using it after a few days because once the problem stops, I forget to continue using the cream.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 16 hours later

From your history, it seems that you are suffering from Lichen Simplex Chronicus. This is a disorder n which people have a compulsion to itch which leads to excessive scratching and makes the skin thick. This leads to more itching and the problem continues.
I would suggest that you use a potent steroid cream like mometasone twice daily over the affected areas and a 1st generation antihistaminic like hydroxyzine. You make have to continue this for several days. However, this is a prescription drug and you would have to consult your general practitioner for the same.

After you get a reasonable relief, you may stop the tablet but the cream has to be continued once daily for several weeks.

It is best to get in touch with a dermatologist personally as examination is very important.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.