Sweating during sleep mainly in neck area. Not on any medication. had panic attacks. Underlying cause?

Question
Hi doctor, i am 29 year od female, lately ive been sweating during my sleep mainly in my neck area. not on any medication. i have been a little stressed out lately and have suffered form panic attacks previously. Can you tell me what may be causing sweating at night? I wake up slightly damp, but not drenched.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

There are multiple reasons for sweating. It usually occurs from the sweat glands that are mediated by the thermoregulatory system of the body. There is release of sweat when there is increase in the body temperature or circulation that can be a result of fever, hypertension, anxiety. hyperthyroidism or excessive fluid intake.

It is a physiological response of the body to the above condition to maintain the body normal heat and circulation levels.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Sweating during sleep mainly in neck area. Not on any medication. had panic attacks. Underlying cause? 7 minutes later
Thank you. I do not have any other symptoms so far but it is starting to bother me. The room temperature is usually comfortable. I experience this some nights. Are there any ways i could get rid of this? or reduce it?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 7 minutes later
Yes this condition can be abundant but first you have to find out the cause. There might be chances that at night your heart rate increases due to anxiety or panic disorder you are having. try to control your anxiety and a 10mg pill of propranolol for a week will be very much helpful.

Thanks