Sweating, anxiety, sleepiness, weight gain. Taking Bacopa. Is this a sign of thyroid problem?

I AM 25 YEARS OLD. i feel extreme sweating. sleepiness and anxiety. I am using an ayurvedic medicine.. bacopa moneiri for last 3 years. Is this a sign of thyroid problem.??.. I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT ABOUT 10 KGS IN LAST 6-7 MONTHS.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your symptoms (extreme sweating,anxiety, sleepiness and anxiety) can occur most commonly in two conditions:
-Anxiety disorder
-Or combination of both

Hypothyroidism itself can lead to anxiety disorder. It occur due to decrease in thyroid hormone (T3 and T4) and increase pituitary hormone (TSH).

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter.

In treatment following measures will help you:
-Have T3, T4 and TSH assay done
-Consult endocrinologist if test are abnormal for prescription of medicines
-If Hormone level normal then consult psychiatrist for prescription of anti anxiety medicines.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you in anxiety:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.