Sweating and pain in center of chest. What could this be?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I became sick suddenly. began profuse sweating, pain in center of chest, my eyes rolled back in my head. maybe passed out for few seconds. lost all color. called 911 and went to hospital. they ran tests but could find nothing wrong with my heart and could not tell me what had happened to me. I will go back to Dr. this week for a stress test.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vandana Khare 1 hour later
Brief Answer: anxiety related panic attack can cause this Detailed Answer: Hi! Welcome to HCM! Since hospital has run tests for you and no abnormality was detected in cardiovascular system so possibility of a panic attack can be there. A panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). Symptoms of panic attack usually begin abruptly and include rapid heartbeat, chest sensations, shortness of breath, dizziness, tingling, and severe anxiousness.The most common symptoms may include trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain , sweating, nausea, dizziness and sensations of choking or smothering. This results in increased anxiety, and forms a positive feedback loop. Often, the onset of shortness of breath and chest pain are the predominant symptoms; the sufferer incorrectly appraises this as a sign or symptom of a heart attack. However, since chest pain and shortness of breath are indeed hallmark symptoms of cardiovascular illnesses, attributing these pains to simple anxiety is a diagnosis of exclusion (other conditions must be ruled out first) until an electrocardiogram says that no heart problem is there.. While panic disorder can certainly be serious, it is not immediately organ-threatening. A variety of treatments are available, including several effective medications, and specific forms of psychotherapy. People who experience panic attacks can use a number of lifestyle changes like aerobic exercise, avoiding alcohol, caffeine, as well as stress-management techniques to help decrease anxiety. hope this helps.take care!