Sweat profusely, mostly face and back of neck. Get dizzy and headache. Thyroid?

Dec 2012

I believe I have hyperhidrosis. With little or no exertion or exercise, I sweat profusely, mostly my face and back of my neck. The sweat literally drips out of my hair. I change my clothes 3x a day and shower often. My underarms, palms and feet are usually NOT a problem, it's my face and neck. Also, I get flushed, dizzy and have a headache when excessive sweating occurs.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your health query,

I am pleased to be able to help.

From your description, you are right to suggest that you are suffering from hyperhidrosis. Those with hyperhidrosis appear to have overactive sweat glands. The uncontrollable sweating can lead to significant discomfort, both physical and emotional. In your situation, you might be suffering from secondary hyperhidrosis i.e if the sweating occurs as a result of another medical condition. Conditions that cause second hyperhidrosis include:
- Acromegaly: excessive secretion of growth hormone
- Anxiety conditions
- Cancer (less likely as you do not present with other symptoms such as weight loss or unexplained fever)
- Carcinoid syndrome
- Certain medications and substances of abuse
- Glucose control disorders such as in a patient who is diabetic and having fluctuations of his/her sugar
- Heart disease
- Hyperthyroidism
- Lung disease
- Menopause very likely given your age.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Pheochromocytoma
- Spinal cord injury
- Stroke
- Tuberculosis or other infections
Most of the above medical conditions always almost presents with other specific symptoms/signs and those will need to be looked upon.
In order to treat this condition i.e secondary hyperhidrosis, the underlying causes needs to be treated first but general measures to reduce the amount and discomfort of the sweating could be done such as use of antiperspirants , medications such as glycopyrrolate and maybe other treatment options available at your area or in which your doctor can do.
I suggest you book an appointment with a doctor for complete evaluation, so that the cause might be identified and treated in time.
If primary hyperhidrosis, then general measures will just have to apply in order to make perspiration more supportable.

Hope that this helps and wish you all the best.
Will love to hear from you again if any further questions.

Dr. Nsah