Swam in salted swimming pool, have open wounds. Can tetanus survive in pool and transfer to wound?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi. I swam in salt water swimming pool 1 hour ago. I have open wounds (another accident 1 day before) and i noticed, swimming pool ladders are a bit rusty. At that time only the wife and I were in the pool . The pool water is constantly being renewed. My first question is, tetanus can survive in salty pool water and transfer to my wound? can infect in these conditions? Second question is, i remember vaccinated two or three times (in 2012 and 1 month ago) for tetanus. am I protected? Thank you for answer and your interest.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
You have absolutely no reason to be worried not just because you are protected with those two doses,but also tetanus can't be transmissed on this way,it can't live in salty or chlorine water, it cant be transmissed if there is no open wound with active bleeding and tetanus is rarely seen today even in places where there is no routine immunization. But there is a possibility of wound bacterial infection or wound irritation so it is not advisable to visit pools if you have wounds. wish you good health.feel free to ask.