Swallowed semen. Having sore throat and runny nose. Worried about HIV infection?

Hello, I have a question regarding HIV transmission. I recently was sexually active and swallowed semen about 1 month ago. I did not have any other sexual activity. Now, I've had a sore throat and runny nose with alternating yellow/clear phlegm. I realize that the only way to know for sure about HIV or other STDs is to get tested, which I plan on doing. I'm aware that acute HIV symptoms are not specific and many don't even experience them. However given that I am having cold like symptoms in August, my question specifically has to do with phlegm-it seems that yellow phlegm production would NOT be associated with acute HIV infection, and I'd like to confirm this?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

The phlegm with yellow sputum is due to a infection from the bacteria known as staphylococcus aureus. And its not a straight clue to be an acute HIV infection because any normal person can have infection from staphylococcus and lead to yellow/greenish phlegm.

More over the HIV incubation takes about 2 years to come into action. In addition to that swallowing semen will enter into stomach which has very strong acid and it will kill the virus.

Still I will insist you to have HIV test may be around 2 years from now just to be on safe side.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me in case of any concern.