Swallowed pill l-arginine and feels like it stuck in chest with pain when swallowed. Suggest?

I swallowed a large pill (l-arginine) 2 days ago and it feels like it's stuck in my chest with pain when I swallow. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that the pill may have caused damage to your esophagus as it passed into your stomach or may be lodged though this is not as common as the first option.

IF it is stuck then you should consider the use of some warm not hot water in copious amounts. The water will help in two ways, to push it down and may also help it dissolve so that it becomes smaller and move into the stomach.

To treat the irritation to the esophagus you may want to consider the use of soft foods for the next 12 to 24 hours. This would include smashed foods or soups. It is best to avoid any spicy/fatty/fried/citrus or hot foods.

YOu can consider the use of an anti inflammatory pain killer such as aspirin, ibuprofen , celebrex or cataflam. These would reduce the inflammation in the esophagus and help with pain relief.
Aspirin or cataflam come with dissolvable tablets that may be easier to take.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions