Swallowed lychee seed. Feel to be stuck in throat. Suggestion?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi there. I swallowed a lychee seed a several years ago and I though it had pass. I have felt something in my throat for past several years and I am sure that the seed is still stuck in my throat. Do you have any suggestions. I have never told anyone because I am scared and have lots of anxiety! Will a doctor be able to remove it? Its been bothering me for quite some time.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 41 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

It is very unusual for a lychee seed to be retained in the throat for years together. If an organic foreign body is retained anywhere in the body for more than a week, it will get definitely get infected and one would approach a doctor for the same.

I personally feel, you could be having Laryngopharyngeal reflux secondary to the acid reflux from the stomach into throat. This happens when there is repeated acid reflux from the stomach into the the throat. The mucosa of the throat gets inflamed and swollen giving rise to the sensation of foreign body.

My sincere advice to you is to consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation of the throat and the neck, so that, your fears can be alleviated and the actual cause can be diagnosed.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Swallowed lychee seed. Feel to be stuck in throat. Suggestion? 15 minutes later
Thanks for the reply Doctor! That is what I think as well but sometimes when I eat I feel that the food is not smoothly going down. I do not know if I might of swallow something else. I definitely feel like there's an obstruction in my throat. My breathing is fine, but once again. My throat just doesn't feel right. Please provide more input. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

One of the commonest cause of sensation of the lump in the throat is, Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). LPR is a condition caused due to reflux of the hydrochloric acid from the stomach into the throat. The lining of the stomach differs from that of the throat. Hence, when the lining of the throat gets exposed to the acid, it burns and gets inflamed. The inflamed and swollen mucosa gives rise to sensation of the lump or foreign body in the throat.

This is a benign condition and resolves with appropriate treatment. You may require proton pump inhibitors to reduce the acid secretion and a prokinetic such as domperidone to prevent reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat.

Apart from these, you need to drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled or hot beverages/ coffee/ tea/ smoking and alcohol (if any).

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Thanks for replying! Is this something that will show up in a x ray? I will schedule an appointment with a specialist if that is the case.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 22 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

It is not possible to diagnose this condition with an x-ray. Laryngeal examination has to be done by your doctor to look for the congestion over the arytenoids and the surrounding region. This examination can be done either by a simple examination of the larynx using a laryngeal mirror or an endoscope. Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon