Swallowed large tortilla chip and struck in throat. Any permanent damage?

I swallowed a large tortilla chip,,It got stuck and hurt really bad until I finally felt it go down..could there be permanent damage?..could my esophogus be bleeding?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The tortilla chip that you had is likely to be stuck in the lower pharynx and not esophagus. Esophagus is a flexible tube and is not likely to get damaged with such a food item.
The pointed end of the tortilla chip might have caused a superficial injury to the area. But any permanent damage to the area is not likely.
You can have a XXXXXXX warm water to soothe the area and avoid hot and spicy food for a few days to decrease any irritation and to allow the area to heal well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.