Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Swallowed kerosene and drank water. Feeling normal and breathing fine. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Hi there. I have swallowed a small mouthfull of kerosene. What shall I do? I drank 2 pints of water straight after. 3 hours have gone by and I feel normal. Breathing etc fine.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 56 minutes later
Hi there,
It looks that you are doing OK.
But please call the following number for further help. - 0845 4647

WWW.WWWW.WW - 0000 24 24 24

Remember that:

How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

Swallowing kerosene may cause damage to the linings of the mouth, throat, esophagus (food pipe), stomach, and intestines. If kerosene gets into the lungs (aspiration), serious and, possibly, permanent lung damage can occur.

Damage can continue to occur for several weeks after the poison was swallowed. Death may occur as long as a month afterwards.

Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor