Swallowed kerosene and drank water. Feeling normal and breathing fine. Should I be worried?

Hi there. I have swallowed a small mouthfull of kerosene. What shall I do? I drank 2 pints of water straight after. 3 hours have gone by and I feel normal. Breathing etc fine.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 56 minutes later
Hi there,
It looks that you are doing OK.
But please call the following number for further help. - 0845 4647

WWW.WWWW.WW - 0000 24 24 24

Remember that:

How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

Swallowing kerosene may cause damage to the linings of the mouth, throat, esophagus (food pipe), stomach, and intestines. If kerosene gets into the lungs (aspiration), serious and, possibly, permanent lung damage can occur.

Damage can continue to occur for several weeks after the poison was swallowed. Death may occur as long as a month afterwards.

Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW