Swallowed doxycline without water. Having burning sensation in throat. Difficult to eat or drink. Remedy?

Jan 2013

Last Friday i swallowed doxycline without water and have had a burning sensation in my throat since then. It is very difficult to drink or eat and I would love some ideas on how to make this pain a little less painful so I can eat.. I have medication to help heal the esophagus. I have an appt with a gi but not until Tuesday. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of esophageal (food pipe) ulceration caused by impaction of doxycycline tablet.
Esophageal ulcer may cause chest pain, burning sensation, pain while eating which may also gets relieved or aggravated after eating and low back ache.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for endoscopy along with biopsy and urea breathe test for H. Pylori.
If Urea breathe test is found to be positive then you have to take complete eradication therapy for H. Pylori bacteria. Endoscopy will also make confirm the presence of esophageal ulcers.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics and antacids containing oxetacaine.
You should take plenty of water with a teaspoon glycerine before meals. Glycerine facilitates swallowing of food.

Medicines should also be taken with plenty of water.

You should follow the mentioned changes:
1) Don't take tomatoes, and citrus fruits.
2) Avoid onion, garlic, excessive tea and coffee, chocolates,
3) Avoid oily and spicy food, non veg.
4) Take soft diet along with yogurt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava