Swallowed a small bone. Will it get digested?

Hi, I accidently swallowed a small game hen bone tonight and was wondering if I should have any concerns. Will my stomach digest it or will it hopfully come out in my stool? I had my stomach stappled years ago and a reversal and a couple hernia's. I gained alot of weight so my stomach is a mess is doesn't digest good I get alot of cramping pain all the time. So swallowing this bone do I have to worry?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have read your query and history. First of all, do not worry. Let me try my best to provide you with the information you are looking for.

In most cases (80-90%), almost all foreign bodies pass through the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) without causing any trouble. The only possible complications these foreign bodies can have are perforation(break or hole or tear) or obstruction of the bowel. If this occurs you will experience symptoms of pain abdomen, tenderness to touch or even movement, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing or breathing; and if this has occurred a few days prior, it can even result in fever and increased heart rate.

As you have a history of GIT surgeries and complications, it would be best to get yourself checked and not wait, as any complication caused due to the foreign body might complicate conditions from your history as well. Please visit a doctor for a physical examination and if required investigational procedures like an abdominal x-ray or CT scan. Once it has been ruled it, you need not worry, as the foreign body would have already passed out safely.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.