Swallowed a large vitamin d tablet , feels like its stuck in my throat. Any thing wrong?

General Surgeon
When I swallow a large vitamin d tablet it sometimes feels like its stuck in my throat for a while, is this normal? It goes down ok most times but sometimes it just feels like its stuck in my Osophegus for about 10 minutes.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Esophagus and whole digestive tract is covered with mucosa which is constantly moisturized what keeps it slippery and prevents food from sticking to the wall of digestive tract. If the tablet is big enough and will find less moisturized area in the esophagus or narrow place, it can get stuck.

If it happens from time to time there is nothing you should worry about. However if it keeps repeating sometimes it can be a symptom of some stomach or esophagus disease. Especially if you also suffer from acid reflux, stomach pain, lost of appetite, weight lost, nausea.
In such case, its better to have upper GI endoscopy and rule out possible diseases of this area.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.