Swallowed a fish bone. Having sore throat and lot of saliva. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I swallowed a fish bone my throat is very sore and I am swallowing a lot of saliva what should I do?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common area where a fish bone may get stuck in the throat is the Palatine Tonsils. Other common areas is the lymphoid tissues in the throat, posterior third of the tongue and in the pyriform fossae. Get a Neck and Chest X-rays done. A fish bone is radio-opaque and hence may be visible on X-rays.

2. The narrowest part of the food tract is the cricopharynx (entrance of the food pipe) behind the (larynx) voice box. Once a food bolus or a foreign body passes through this narrowing, there is usually no problem. Only a very sharp fish bone may get stuck. Usually there is an abrasion or spasm caused by the passage of a fish bone.

3. If the symptoms or pain worsen, there is drooling of saliva or if the fish bone is seen on an X-ray, request for a videolaryngoscopy done.

4. Any painkiller may mask the symptoms and hence should be taken only under strict medical supervision. A medicated mouth wash may help.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.