Swallowed a cap full of dettol, history of hypertension. Quantity of water or milk to reduce side effects ?

Question
I swallowed a capful of Dettol. How much water/milk should I drink?
65 yo, 6ft, hx of hypertension
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later

A small amount of Dettol liquid is not XXXXXXX but it can irritate the delicate lining (mucosa) of the airway, lungs, food pipe and stomach.

The irritation or allergy due to chloroxylenol may lead to XXXXXXX swelling after a few hours, hence I recommend that you consult a doctor immediately, especially if you have cough or difficulty in breathing, in which case you may be admitted for observation.

Have a few tablespoons of Liquid Paraffin IP (medical grade) if available to dilute the traces of dettol and to soothe the XXXXXXX linings. Dettol does not dissolve completely in water.

You should not do such things? If you have any problems you should immediately seek help to resolve them. Your Guardian / Friends/children/relatives can help you.

If you think you are alone you should seek help from Counselor he will certainly be able to help you.
Please do not repeat such things in future as everyday cannot be fortunate enough.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer them.

Regards.