Sustained a cranial and vestibular concussion. Taking vestibular therapy. Suffer nausea and have trouble tracking. Suggest?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Dr. I sustained a cranial and vestibular concussion in Feb 2013. I have been taking vestibular therapy, but to no avail. I suffer from nausea 100 % of the day, have trouble eye tracking, everything moves up and down and from side to side. I can feel my eyes jerking and constantly try to keep things still in my vision...resulting in a major stiff neck with headaches, nausea/motion sickness and also have bouts of clammy sweat breaks when the nausea hits and then bouts of chills. 9 months now and unable to function I am being referred to the Director/Neurologist and professor of Neurology at UBC in Canada with increasingly worsening symptoms. Malaise, nausea, upset stomach etc. I visited Panama Setpt 2012 and am wondering if I have picked up something in addition to the concussion symptoms that are getting worse. I have been off work since the accident in Feb 2013 where I hit my left temple running into an unseen floating staircase in the dark. I would welcome your suggestions. My doctor has recently put me on an antidepressant and a sleeping pill but still I spend most of the day in bed trying to get relief. Early on I had a CT Scan, MRI, saw a neurologist and was told it will just take time. It has been 9 months now and I feel that I am getting worse, not any better what so ever. I look forward to your reply. thank you. XXXXX.

I have now been referred to the University Professor of Neuropsychology at UBC in Vancouver to see if he can resolve my deteriorating condition. I am suffering malaise, fatique, nausea and lately depression from being so ill. What can the neuropsychologist offer me in terms of help and how would he do that. it may take months to get in to see him. Still I remain active for only 20 % of my waking hours, the rest dosing/sleeping and then sleeping through the night. 95% of my day I feel nauseated ...tried to go for a walk today for about 20 minutes and was almost to the point of throwing up when I had to turn back toward home. Everything still moves up and down when I walk and it's difficult to focus ahead to calm the nausea. Normally I can walk 2 hours and feel refreshed. But since this concussion it is hard to push myself to even go out. Please are there any questions you have of me to enable you to help me further. My own family dr is very concerned about my deterioration and malaise/depression and has run a full set of blood tests including hormone levels, hp pylori (I suffered a duodenal ulcer 4 years ago and have been having some flare ups)l should have the results in about a week. I look forward to reply and thank you for your time and consideration. University of BC is about to take on my case in Neurology to try and help so am not quite sure what that will involve. Thank you.

I should add, I am about normal weight, 135 pounds, 5ft 5in...and normally very active with golfing, walking, gardening etc. I eat very healthy, make most of my food fresh daily, so don't know what else to do at the moment to increase my energy and stamena. Any questions you may have please just ask. I look forward to your reply and thank you again.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post concussion syndrome

Detailed Answer:

I am a Ayurveda physician and ayurveda offers helpful means to combat post concussion syndrome. Therefore I take this opportunity to address your concerns. But before going into further analysis do let me know about following concerns:

Was vestibular dysfunction peripheral or central?? [as inner ear damage is generally irreversible!]

People with head injury have been shown to have semi circular canal dysfunction sometimes (since CT/MRI scan has not shown any pathology). Therefore were you evaluated by an ENT surgeon for the same and examined for BPPV [benign paroxysmal positional vertigo] because dizziness, gait unsteadiness and oscillopsia are frequent with vestibular involvement.?

Neuropsychologist will help with neuro cognitive rehabilitation. [it may involve developing compensatory strategies to address difficulties with aspects of cognition, such as attention, memory, and executive functioning]

Do let me know about the medications which you were prescribed and/or currently taking for any ADR [adverse drug reaction].

Do let me know about the concerns raised so that effective line of management can be incorporated in your lifestyle.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimitika Clinic