Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I'm suspected STD by doctor based on my symptoms of pain urinete + yellowish. Still waiting for my medical report on whether I got infected by gonorrohea/ syphelia. Without knowing the actual problem, I was given some doxycyline & am day of 7th. My pain relief & discharge gone either. My question is whether it's sign of recovery? I'm still very worry it may come back after I finish my doxy by day of 10th. Please advice ! I had 2x unprotected oral sex with CSW. 1st was in early May & 2nd was on mid XXXXXXX '13, started seeing symntoms about a week after my possible exposure lately. My question is that whether it's possible for me to expose to STD on early May & it doesnt show me any symptom that could have also tramsmitted to my wife with no symptom show? But my wife & I have no sex since after the 2nd possible exposure.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is likely that your 2nd exposure could be the source of your infection.
Pain during urination and discharge are possible with two STD conditions.
1. Gonorrhea
2. Chlamydial infection

The incubation period for Gonorrhea is around 3-5 days whereas the IP for Chlamydial infection is around 3 weeks. So your 1st exposure is unlikely to be the source of infection and your wife is almost safe as you had no contact with her after the 2nd exposure.
Absence of discharge and burning sensation during urination are definitely signs of recovering and you are responding well to treatment.Regarding further treatment, if you follow the direction of your treating physician who will decide the course of management after seeing the outcome of your laboratory reports, you will be completely alright and will not have any more recurrences unless you are having a fresh exposure.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery? 9 minutes later
Hi Dr, I notice something in my urine which looks like sperm. But, no psysical discharge (or unnotice) around my penis. Should I be worry about this sign or it's just a normal effect of doxy which I'm taking now? Extreame worry now ! Any possible that discharge come back after doxy treatment?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
What you have noticed is threads of epithelial debris. It shows your urethral mucosa starts healing. Nothing to worry.
If you take adequate dose of Doxycyclin for adequate duration, then there will not be any recurrence of your problem,provided if your wife is also free from infection.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery? 34 minutes later
Hi Dr. Should I be worry about HIV are something serious since I haven't have my medical report out? I was just consulted an ordinary doctor & not specialist ! Appciate your fast respond. Any possible that I get infected by accidently touching my penis to the public urine bowl or I got infected by having masterbation in a Hotel bath tub with water filled?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Hi DT,
Welcome back.

The risk of transmission of HIV through oral sex is low as per CDC, Atlanta. So the possibility of HIV for you is unlikely.

The chances of getting HIV by touching public urine pan and masturbating in Hotel bath tub is negligible or almost nil.
Nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery? 16 hours later
Hi Dr. Should I avoid from sharing drink/ food/ cutlery/ tower/ etc with anyone particularly my family?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

Not at all. STD cannot spread through inanimate objects and fomites. So you need not avoid sharing utensils and towel. This is not a skin infection. Only thing is to follow a total abstinence from sex till your treatment completion. In case till the treatment for your wife also has completed. That is all. Nothing more than that.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery? 12 days later
Hi Dr, my medical report shows (1) Positive Gonorrhea*, Negative Chlamydia & Negative HIV. My Doctor gave me a one time injection of Rocephin 1G + 4 caps of doxycyline on 10-July-2013 & asked me to go back after 2 months for another blood + urine test. God Blessed, my wife wasn't been infected.

Question 1 - I'm having cloudy urine since 8-July until now (nearly 2 weeks). What can be the possible causes of having cloudy urine. Is my condition getting worse / it's just part of the recovering process?

Question 2 - I found a single drop of blood in my urine. It looks like a fresh blood & happen at the very begining of urination follow by normal color of cloudy yellowish urine. This happen for 2 times (yesterday evening & today early morning). Am I getting worse / just part of the recovering process? I don't have any discharge/ pain for 3 weeks until now.

Question 3 - I don't feel like to go toilet often as the earlier symptom. But, I would if I drink more water on the day. Is this normal?

Question 4 - how effective is Rocephin 1G in curing Gonorrhea & how do I know I'm getting better? What's the duration for Rocephin 1G to fully remove Gonorrhea from my body?

Question 5 - should I also test for other STD instead of only Gonorrhea, Chlamydia & HIV?

Waiting for your fast reply. Thanks !!!!
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

As your test positive for Gonorrhea and negative for Chlamydia and HIV, no further tests is necessary.
Drinking good amount of water is good for your condition and go ahead with the same.

Regarding your complaints of passing cloudy urine, passing blood drops in urine indicates that your infection (urethritis) has not ye been cleared totally. That means the dose of the treatment is not adequate or the organism is resistant to the drugs prescribed for you.
There are other alternative drugs are available for the treatment of Gonorrhea.
If you XXXXXXX your consultant he will be able to guide you better.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Suspected with STD. Taking doxycyline. Any signs of recovery? 2 days later
Hi Doctor, I don't see any blood drop after the 2 incident till today. Cloudy & bubble urine reduce significantly as I drink big amount of water. I'm on day of 12th with Rocephin & hope it can completely cure all organism from my body. Would like to seek your advice whether I should continue monitor myself or to seek further consultation from existing doctor? Will it risk myself if I continue to monitor for another month?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Stopping of blood drops is not the proof of your infection cleared as it will not persist for days in infections.
How many days you had been advised to take Injection Rocephin, as it is indicated as a single injection in uncomplicated Gonorrhea.
It is better to get your urine deposits examined for the presence of pus cells or RBCs. If there is more than 5 in numbers, it indicates the infection is not yet cleared. Either you have to continue the treatment or to change over to some other alternative drugs.
If there is no pus cells or RBCs or less than 5, you can just ignore and follow the guidance of your physician.
Dr S.Murugan