Suspected to have irritable bowel syndrome. Have lost bowels. What could be the reason?

General Surgeon
i doubt i have irritable bowel syndrome. i lost my bowels 4 times for the past 6 years and i have no other symptoms. and 2 of them recently in the past 6 months.i want to know is that really ibs because i hold it for a long time for about 30 minutes and due to unavailability of washroom i lost my bowels. please clarify me because am feeling very embarrassed and am unable to discuss with anyone. is this ibs or fecal incontinence please help me out
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not IBS

Detailed Answer:
As per your query,it is not IBS.In one type of IBS there will be constipation and the other type there will be diarrhoea.
In total incontinence,you cannot hold for 30 minutes.
It is natural for the stools to comeout when the bowel movement is fast and also when you are in tension.
You may be having partial incontinence.
Consult your surgeon and get Anal manometry studies which confirms your diagnosis.
If you come back with above report,i will clarify further