Suspected to have OCD or ADHD. On zoloft for anxiety but no help. Treatment?

I am a 63 yr old white female who suspects I may have some form of OCD or ADHD. How would I fine a physician who could treat me and prescribe correct medication for me? I am currently on Zoloft for over 15 yrs but this doesn't seem to be effective in my anxiety.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through you past medical history as given.
1955 (tonsils);
2010 (back surgery);
2011 (deviated septum);
2008 (gastric bypass);
2010 (thyroidectomy);

It is significant to take note that you have been taking Zoloft which contains Sertraline. Sertraline is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Sertraline works well in treating OCD, panic and anxiety disorders in both in adults and children.

I suppose you were put on Zololoft after a complete evaluation by your doctor 15 years back. There are instances where patients develop tolerance to medications like SSRIs after a while and under medical supervision, after analyzing your symptoms, your medications might be reviewed.

With special emphasis on OCD, sertraline dosage might need assessment in your case. Often combination of Cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRIs work better for OCDs.

In treatment of panic disorders, Sertraline has an effect comparable with the newer drugs like paroxetine or alprazolam. As for social phobia and anxiety, the combination of sertraline and exposure therapy appears to respond faster than with Sertraline alone.

I suggest you should review your symptoms regarding OCD and ADHD and get yourself analyzed in detail by a psychiatrist to come to a current diagnosis. There are many treatment choices, some involving combination of medications and behavior therapy which can be helpful to you.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any further query, please feel free to ask.

Dr A Rao Kavoor