Suspected of having hemorrhoids and bleeds before periods due date. Have irritation around. Suggest?

Hello, I am a 40 year old female, and in the past couple of months I have noticed that I might have hemorrhoids and that they seem to bleed the day before my period. The blood is bright red, not dark red, and there also seems to be some slight surface irritation around the area. I have not had children. Is this something I should be worried about?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 2 hours later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for choosing HCM!

Before anything else, we need to make sure that the bleeding is indeed from hemorrhoids and not from other more worrisome conditions. I would suggest that you seek consult with a general/colorectal surgeon who can examine you more in detail, order some diagnostic tests (which may include a colonoscopy to rule out polyps or other masses, especially since you are now 40 years old), and offer a sound management plan (see below).

Although the exact cause of hemorrhoids are unknown, there are a number of associated factors that are associated such as irregular bowel movement (especially constipation), diet (lack of fiber), obesity, prolonged sitting, increased abdominal pressure (including pregnancy and ascites), and the natural process of aging among others.

Hemorrhoids are troublesome but you have no need to worry about them. There are a number of management options - both conservative (increase dietary fiber) and surgical (from simple procedures like ligation to more complicated ones if needed) - that can solve this problem.

In the meantime, I would also urge you to keep doing your regular exercise and to maintain a healthy diet XXXXXXX in fiber and iron to make sure that you replace your iron losses due to the bleeding.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Take care and I wish you good health!

Dr. Galera