Ask a Urologist   »  

Suspected of UTI and prescribed with norflox. Sensitive to Amikacin, Ertapenem. Suggest the medication?

General Surgeon
My wife is suspected of acute UTI and was prescribed Norflox pending urine routine/microscopic and culture/sensitivity tests. The results now show she is sensitive to only Amikacin, Ertapenem, Imipenem, Meropenem, Nitrofurantoin and Piperacilin-tazobactam. Of the two doctors I consulted after the result came in, one prescribed that she switch to Zanocin, and another prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100 mg bd.

Question: Which medicine should she switch to?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You better switch to Nitrofurantoin.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

results,the organisms are sensitive to Nitrofurantoin. So, it is better to go with this drug as Zanocin(Ofloxacin) is not mentioned in the sensitivity list.

I would also advise to drink plenty of liquids. I also add Citralka syrup to my patients which is taken in diluted form.

If the infection is severe, she can be given Amikacin also. But, it is available in injection form only and needs to be taken under medical supervision. I prescribe two antibiotics to my patients with similar complaints if the infection is severe.

Hope I answered your question.
If you have any doubts, I will clarify further.
Wish her good health and speedy recovery after her planned surgery.

Follow-up: Suspected of UTI and prescribed with norflox. Sensitive to Amikacin, Ertapenem. Suggest the medication? 32 minutes later
At present she is also taking Pyridine, Crantab, reciper and Enterogermina. What other medicines (e.g. antacids...) should she tale with Nitrofurantoin?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Raciper is stomach protective.

Detailed Answer:
She does not need a separate antacid as she is on Raciper(Esmoprazole).
No other medicine is needed as the drug Nitrofurantoin will be effective for UTI.
Hope i answered your query.
If there are no further questions,please give the rating