Ask a Urologist   »  

Suspected for UTI. Taking keflax. How long will it take for improvement?

Question
I have a suspected UTI and been given Keflax I have taken 4 tablets but still feel no better how long before I will see an improvement
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Generally you see results in three days of starting medications.But it might take 6-7 days to improve symptoms and to clear off the infection.

In cases, where infection is caused by micro-organism resistant to that antibiotic symptoms may not improve as desired.In such cases urine culture and course of appropriate antibiotic suggested by the culture results needs to be taken.

Most doctor suggest broad spectrum antibiotic as first step rather than going for culture , as culture takes time to give results.

I would suggest you to continue current medications to complete the course and then if symptoms persist go for culture tests.

Drink lots of water and fruit juice.

Hope this answers your question.

Follow-up: Suspected for UTI. Taking keflax. How long will it take for improvement? 5 minutes later
Thanks. I am getting a dull pain that comes and goes in my penis and when I urinate that provides a sense of relief and then it comes back will Keflex help resolve this feeling.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Thanks for follow question.

These are symptoms are due to irritation of penile mucosa caused by infection. Keflex should help resolve this.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suspected for UTI. Taking keflax. How long will it take for improvement? 9 minutes later
Thanks another question of a general nature should I avoid coffee and alchol

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 29 minutes later
Coffee and alcohol use wont matter much in this case.But as a general health concerns both should be in limits.

Regards.