Suspected fast moving virus attack my kidneys. Stopping Cell Cept cause problems to kidneys?

Does stopping Cell Cept (mychophynolate) cause any problems regarding my kidneys?
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
I would like to know what kind of surgery for precancer is being planned for you. Cellcept is an immunosuppressive and for a reasonably major surgery this may cause problems with infection. On the other hand stopping cellcept may lead to flare-up of kidney injury.
We have to carefully balance the risk-benefits of each and take a decision. If the recovery period from surgery is expected to be short then we may well stop it and monitor the kidney functions carefully.
I am sure your surgeon and nephrologist have carefully considered all aspects and then taken this decision.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.