Ask a Urologist   »  

Suspected diabetes, had a stroke. Feels bladder is full, but nothing comes out. Does he need urgent care ?

my husband is suspected of having diabetes (test this a.m. showed sugar in urine) and had a stroke two days ago. He feels his bladder feels full and rushes to the bathroom literally every ten minutes. Almost nothing comes out. The doctor we saw this morning says there is nothing he can do until the test results come back from blood test for diabetes. My husband is in a lot of discomfort. Should I take him to urgent care or emergency room for a test on how full the bladder is after urination and get some medicine to make him urinate?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Sorry to hear about that.
During an acute stroke and also in his age where there may be enlarged prostate, the bladder becomes weak and hence it is wise to have a small tube in the bladder if necessary to make him more comfortable to get out the urine. But this needs to be decided by the attending physician.
As u have rightly thought, it is better to go to an emergency and get him checked with a scan of the bladder. Also he may have infection in the bladder which is common on diabetics.

Get well soon.