Suspected TB in brain. Liver and kidney function got affected after taking forecox. Looking for proper diagnosis

Hello Doctors,

My Father's age is 77 years, one of the doctor at Hyderabad suspected some TB related problems in brain and suggested to take 2 forecox tablets per day. We used for 15 days, his kidney's and liver functioning got affected and hospitalized for 5 days in ICU and expired on last Thursday. Doctor didn't ask us to go for any kidney or liver tests and didn't inform about the side affects.

Major problems when he was in ICU
1. Very less urine output and kidney functioning problems
2. Liver functioning problems
3. Blood platelets count was very less, 22k even after given 4 time the blood platelets

I strongly believe my father is expired with usage of forecox tablets, Please let me know your feedback on my understanding.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later

Yes, the anti-tubercular medications are known to affect the liver function and kidney functions in most patients,specially in old people and people with pre existing liver or kidney diseases.

But the demise of your father cannot be directly attributed to the Forecox tablets.A detailed study into your father's pre and post medications status including the blood test reports has to be made to arrive at a conclusion about the cause of death.

Also its mandatory for a doctor to explain the consequences of such medications and the risks involved before starting.This has to be done after in detail study of the liver and the kidney functioning in the patient to asses the risk involved.

The low platelet count is not a common side effect encountered due to anti TB medications .This could be due to some other underlying condition which had to be studied for an explanation.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.