Suspect to have fecal incontinence and have had lost bowel movement few times. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
hello. i am 23 and am a male. i doubt i have fecal incontinence but i lost my bowels only 4 times for the past 6 years. and 2 of them recently in the past 6 months.i want to know is that really fecal incontinence because i hold it for a long time for about 30 minutes and due to unavailability of washroom i lost my bowels. please clarify me because am feeling very embarrassed and am unable to discuss with anyone.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have lost control over your bowel movements for couple of occasions in last six years.

One thing I can assure that this is not faecal incontinence as it is sporadic and not consistent.

Most likely it is due over loaded bowels the reason may be your bowels not emptied in time .

This happens once in awhile when you have not defecated for a long time and your bowes are studded with faeces.

Following general measure will help in improving bowel movements and resolve your problem.
Please observe proper bowel habits like empty your bowels in the morning and evening as routine regardless of whether you have desire to defecate or not.

Drink plenty of water to keep your stools soft.

Take diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits and sufficient fibres and spouted cereals..

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suspect to have fecal incontinence and have had lost bowel movement few times. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX for you reply. If it is fecal incontinence, do we lose bowels very frequently. And is it common for people to have such situations like me as I mentioned above to lose bowels once in a while. And how much time could we bear our bowels once we feel the urge.

And should I take any other preventive measure such as exercise and diet.
And by the way could you please tell me the symptoms of fecal incontinence. and is my problem pretty normal or should I go through it seriously.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I had made it clear that you do not have fecal incontinence at all.

In incontinence one passes stools without the knowledge(Involuntary) of a person and it is consistent and is always due to serious neurological disease of the spine or brain.

Do not stretch your anxiety for such a minor incidence that has happened twice.I have already explained the reason behind it.

Please do have regular exercise and diet which i have narrated in my reply earlier.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suspect to have fecal incontinence and have had lost bowel movement few times. Suggest? 4 hours later
Does this have anything with OCD. Actually I have mild OCD. Will that be a reason for this problem

And can I prevent it totally in future by following the 2 measures i.e diet and exercise.

Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
OCD is a behaviour disorder and will not cause this problem
Exercise and proper diet will definitely prevent this episode in future.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Suspect to have fecal incontinence and have had lost bowel movement few times. Suggest? 10 hours later
thank you. is this a common problem for people who take poor diet. and for proper health how many bowel movements should we have everyday.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
Every one shoud have two motions (Bowel Movements) every day.
This problem is not common and can happen to any body once in a while.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.