Suspect of having pinched nerve in shoulder, like sciatica. Suggest treatment for cure?

I think I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder. It acts just like sciatica, only in the shoulder not the leg. Is there some way of unpinching it, and is rest or exercise a better treatment?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later

If you experience Sciatica like pain in your shoulders and arm then the problem is little higher up.

The spinal nerves which emerge from the cervical spine at the neck region(Brachial plexus) may be compressed.

This may be due to Cervical spondylosis.

You may need

1. X XXXXXXX of the area.

2. To confirm nerve involvement you may need MRI of the cervical spine.

Physiotherapy is the mainstay of treatment.

Consult an Orthopedician.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.
Follow-up: Suspect of having pinched nerve in shoulder, like sciatica. Suggest treatment for cure? 1 hour later
My arm is cold and the top of the forarm and thumb is numb. Is this typical? Is there anything I can do to relieve it at home? Heat or cold compress?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later

It is a neurological pain.

So home remedies may not help much.

You may take Analgesics till you see the doctor.