Surging feeling in chest, high BP, heart rate high, arteries restricted, valve malfunction

Yes I have just noticed a surging feeling in my chest I took my blood pressure and it was 130/70 heart rate was 81 and it feel fine right now but I started feeling this last night. Is it possible that a restriction or in my artieries or possibly a valve malfunction in my heart would cause this feeling. I sometimes feel like I have to cough.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concerns.

You have described a surging feeling in your chest. There are a couple of possibilities related to this symptom.

The first consideration would be that you experienced what is called a premature ventricular contraction. This is a short abnormal heartbeat which lasts for a couple of seconds.

It can be triggered by stress or anxiety or sometimes by excessive intake of nicotine or caffeine. These are more common in females but also do happen in XXXXXXX

It would be unlikely that you're experiencing anything like a heart attack or problem with the valves of your heart. If that was an issue you would have had continuous problems.

I am not very concerned right now that you have anything which needs to be investigated immediately in an emergency setting. I would however make an appointment to see your primary care physician might ask for some laboratory tests or possibly an echocardiogram to look at your heart. This is all something that can be done in an outpatient setting.

Second consideration which comes to mind would be panic attack. If for some reason you think you were dealing with a significant degree of anxiety it could cause this type of surging sensation in the chest. Since you did not mention anxiety or stress as a major contribute factor I doubt that this is the case for you.

Lastly It could be due to some acidity in the stomach and some re-flux in the esophagus.

This can also be ruled out by a more focused clinical examination.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert