Ask a Urologist   »  

Surgical removal of lump from penis, bleeding with clots, swollen wound, soreness, dark yellow urine. Prevention of bleeding from wound ?

Hi, I have just had a lump removed from my penal shaft onthe NHS, the surgeon entered through my foreskin and opened a wound about 2 inches long in my penile shaft and removed the lump. He then stiched up my foreskin over the wound (I am uncircumcised). That was yesterday, today I am home (they kept me in overnight as I applied too much pressure to the wound several hours after surgery and it bled about a pint of blood from penis opening in huge clots). Now, just behind my wound it is swollen and reddish, is this normal? Perhaps trapped blood as all yesterday I bled alot? Also I have not washed it yet for fear of heavy bleeding and because I was told to keep it dry and not touch it for 48 hours, is this normal? my penis is unbandaged. My surgery was 25 hours ago.I am in mild discomfort, feels sore, hot, a bit reddish but no puss or yellow leakish. Urine is dark yellow but no blood.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 15 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

There will be swelling and reddish discolouration in the operated area due to the inflammatory reaction to the procedure undergone.

It is also due to the trapped blood.

It is normal to have such post operative reaction. You need not worry.

Also do not touch or do anything to the operated site for 48 hours.

Wait till the end of 48 hours, then you can go in for a dressing or clean up of the wound done by your doctor.

Penis is highly vascular organ means it has got XXXXXXX blood supply.

Sometimes after surgery it takes longer to recover.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.