Ask a Urologist   »  

Surgery,swollen under head of penis

my husband has a condition with his penis (not sure the name of it) that he has an extra hole on the side of his penis as a result of the tube not being long enough. The hole that was created during surgery when he was younger becomes infected regularly or he has to have it stretched. It seems to once again be infected as it is now swelling underneath the head of his penis. Until he can get in to see his specialist again is there anything that he can be wrapping it in that would possibly bring down the swelling.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I am sure this must cause a significant amount of discomfort for him and mist be troubling for you as well.

I have a couple of suggestions for you. First of all I suggest he tale some warm soaks in a bathtub for 20 minutes twice daily. This will be soothing and will help the swelling. Next I suggest you apply some topical antibiotic cream which is available at any pharmacy to the inflamed area three times daily. It may be necessary for him to take a daily antibiotic prophylactically in the future to minimize recurrent infections.

These are my initial thoughts which I hope are helpful to you. If you have XXXXXXX additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga