Surgery for gallbladder, appendix, hemicolectomy done. Is laparoscopic surgery safe for incisional hernia?

General Surgeon
I am scheduled to have an operation in March for an incisional hernia. It is being done laproscopically by a surgeon who has performed this type of oepration. I have had three operations in the last two years. One in 2011 for Gallbladder, 2012 appendix removal . At that time they found I had a carcinoid tumor so they performaed a Hemicolectomy a few months after the appendix removal to make sure I was cancer free. They removed 12 lymph nodes all free of cancer. I have now formed an incisinal hernia the size of an XXXXXXX my stomach sticks out like I am pregnant.The surgeon suggested we operate and place a mesh to help eliviate the protruding stomach. Is there a surgeon in your group with experience with Laproscopic surgery who has performed the type of operation? I am about to go through another operaion and I want to make sure I am not missing something. I am very tire of all these operations but I know I can't go on like this..I am pleased to say I am cancer free and did not require any chemo or radiation. Your professional opinion would be appreciated. I am looking for a specialist in this field to answer my email. Kind Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Laparoscopic surgery of the abdominal hernia is a very good idea. Especially if someone have had surgeries before. It is even easier to perform than classic surgery. During such surgery, the surgeon is able to release adhesions created after so many surgeries. Moreover, the incisions are so little, that the healing process is quick, and painless. So once again, this is a very good choice, much better than classic surgery.

Dont know what else you want to know about such surgery. Please ask if I didnt answer fully your questions.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Surgery for gallbladder, appendix, hemicolectomy done. Is laparoscopic surgery safe for incisional hernia? 33 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Stanko for your opinion:
I would like to ask you have you personally done many of these type of operations (laproscopically)?

After having this surgery what is your opinion on the healing process?

Will I be in much pain?

Is this type of surgery life threatning?

Will I feel the mesh that is inserted?

Does this mesh really pull in the protruding area?

How will it feel? Is it uncomfortable?

Right now I am in no pain just a large area sticks out and when I eat it extends

Is is going to go away afer this type of surgery?

Are there any other questions I may have missed?

I was told day surgery - 1.5 hour operation.

Kind Regards, XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Surgery for gallbladder, appendix, hemicolectomy done. Is laparoscopic surgery safe for incisional hernia? 0 minute later
Do you require any reports at this time?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

1.Yes I have done few of such surgeries and have been assisted to many of them.
2. As the holes are very little and the mesh is inserted inside, stitched with some stitches so it wont move anywhere, the healing process is quite quick. I takes about 7-10 days for the holes to get healed and few months for the mesh to ingrow.
3.There is not much pain after such surgery, that is why it is so great method.
4.Every surgery can be life threatening. But the risk of death during and after such surgery is very very low (like few percents). No important structures are incised so it does not make any serious danger.
5. You wont be able to feel the mesh as there is special mesh inserted which can be in contact with intestines.
6.The role of this mesh is not to pull in the protruding area. It is applied to strengthen the abdominal wall, so the intestines wont be able to get through it. You will achieve a flat abdomen. Depending of the size of hernia, sometimes it is possible to suture the hole and put the mesh, sometimes it is only possible to put the mesh, so the hole is left however the mesh strengthens this hole.
7. You may feel little tight for a week or two, however it will go away and it is not much uncomfortable.
8. Yes, the idea of this surgery is to prevent your abdomen to stick out.

I guess you havent missed any question. No reports necessary as this does not change anything in the surgery which should be performed. Like I have said before, this is quite simple and easy surgery. It is like putting a patch to the hole you are able to see. Laparoscopicaly we are able to do it from inside without cutting the tissues (every tissues incision results with weakening of it).

Hope you will find it helpful.