Surgery feasible for stable and less vitiligo patches on upper body? Whom to consult?

hi, my vitiligo patches are stable for more than 5 years and exist only on left side of upper body.patch area is very less can i resort to surgical options ,if yes whom shall i consult.kindly guide me on facilities in south india.i am a resident of kerala state
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Since you have a stable vitiligo patch and that too which is small, you can go for a surgery.

There are different types of surgery which can be done in such cases. They are as follows:
1) Punch grafting
2) Split thickness grafting
3) Non-cultured melanocyte transplantation

Non-cultured melanocyte transplantation is the latest of the three. In India there are very few doctors who are performing this surgery, and I am happy to say that a Dermatologist friend of mine in Calicut is performing this surgery. So if needed you can contact him.

Apart from him, you can even contact any Government Medical College (skin department) for the guidance and surgery, but I am not sure whether they would be doing melanocyte transplantation. The result of this surgery is far better than the other two surgeries.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda