Surgery done to remove bone spur. Experiencing mild pain, discomfort. What cure should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had surgery to remove a bone spur on 3/25/13. Spent a week after in recovery. Had a week of no pain then it started but I've been taking hydrocod/APAP 5/325. The physcian's assistant said I could hit golf balls but take it easy and not over exert to which I did the last a few days ago. The numbing and very light discomfort re-emerged to which I placed on ice with a couple hydroid. Based on this situation is one should I completely stop hitting balls until I have more consecutive days of no pain?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It usually takes 3-4 weeks for the surgical site to heal completely after a surgical resection of the spur. The mild pain and discomfort are a normal finding.
This is likely to decrease on ts own in coming few weeks. Please do not worry.
You can continue taking the pain killer and mild exercise like Golf. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will be a good pain relieving measure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Surgery done to remove bone spur. Experiencing mild pain, discomfort. What cure should be done? 7 days later
The hot fomentation you mentioned before, would XXXXXXX XXXXXXX be a good heat source? Also, sometimes I feel a pop somewhere deep in the elbow; now pain but just happen to notice. And is the intermittent numbness caused by the tendons attempting to heal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can use Ben-gay but it has to be used in addition to a heating pad.
The pop and pain in the elbow is likely to be due to a tendon inflammation- May be a tennis elbow. A direct examination will help in diagnosis. Use elastic brace on the elbow meanwhile.
The intermittent numbness could be due to diabetes, thyroid hormone imbalance, etc. You can start with methylcobalamin supplements for two weeks and see if there is an improvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.