Surgery done for weight loss. Suffering from extreme tiredness and pain under rib. Worrisome

I am a 48 women who is suffering from extreme tiredness and after eating or drinking get pain in my side. I had half my stomachs removed in 2010 for weight loss. Is this anything to worry about?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I shall appreciate if you can provide me with the following information:
1. Where exactly do you have pain after eating or drinking? You mention "pain in my side" which does not give me any information.
2. How long does the pain last and how is it relieved?
3. What was your weight before surgery? How much weight have you lost since the surgery?
4. Any change in your bowel habit?

You can have pain if you overeat otherwise there should not be any reason for pain occurring following eating or drinking. The tiredness can be due to your weight loss following the surgery.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Surgery done for weight loss. Suffering from extreme tiredness and pain under rib. Worrisome 9 hours later
The pain is in the upper side just down by my ribs. It starts as soon as I drink or eat and it can last for up to a couple of hours but it goes like a dull pain. I was about 14 stone when I had my op in 2010 although I wasn't that heavy my dad and my son have serious heart conditions and I had tried every way to lose weight. I lost 5 1/2 stone. I weight about 8stone 11 pounds now. My bowl habits are all over the place at the moment some times very watery and then am very constipated.

Hope this helps
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later

Thanks for the update.

You mentioned that the pain is just below the ribs and I presume on the left side of the abdomen. You also get watery stools and at times have constipation. Have you been taking any antacids? Do they give relief in the pain? The dull pain in upper abdomen is usually due to gastritis and should be relieved by antacids.

Have you got your stools examined? If not recently then you should get it done to rule out any intestinal infection which may be causing watery motion.

As it has been nearly three years and if the above suggestions do not work then you may require an endoscopy to know the condition of the stomach. Please discuss this with your treating physician.

Considering your family history which is disturbing, you need to be on a regular exercise program. I do not have any doubt on this but it needs to be monitored by a health professional so that it serves the purpose of weight reduction and gives you adequate cardiac work out.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.