Surgery done for sinus problem. Having pain in knee. Any suggestions?

Sep 2012

I undergone a surgery recently for sinus treatment. FESS and septoplasty to cure sinus problem.
Before surgery I gone for clinical profile III Diagnostic Test under which my ESR was 17.
However my surgeon suggest no problem. My chest was normal.
Yes I have some bone problem. sometime I feel pain in my knee.
What do you suggest.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Firstly, the normal level of ESR is 4-14 in 1st hour (by Westergren method) as per your age and sex.
So, you have mildly elevated ESR level.
ESR may get elevated in many conditions like several inflammatory conditions , auto-immune diseases, etc.
So, it is a very non-specific parameter to determine any disease condition.
But as you have a history of chronic sinusitis then it is quite obvious that it was the cause for mildly elevated level of ESR.
Now, knee pain, in your age may occur from early osteoarthritis, overweight, any inflammatory condition, Gout, any old injury, constant placing the leg in one position.

So, for this problem, if you can do -
1. If you are overweight then first try to lose weight.
2. Do some basic tests like uric acid level of blood, X-Ray AP/LAT of knee joint for any bony abnormality or decreased joint space.
3. Consult with an orthopedic surgeon, for a detailed physical examination and for some investigation like MRI, Arthroscopy if needed.
4. Take some non steroidal anti- inflammatory group of drugs and proton pump inhibitor groups of drugs if pain increases. Since these are prescription drugs, you would need to see your physician for the same.
5. Consult with a physiotherapist for some exercise which not only lowers the pain but also prevent the disease progression.

Let me know if you have any more question.