Surgery done for rupture achilles. On mediation. Small white pimples appeared. Treatment to be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I rupture my achilles back in Oct 2011- had surgery - incision would not heal and started to seep. Wore boot for extral long time trying to immobilize, still no progress. Antibiotics The fiber wire started working its way out. More antibiotics Had second surgery March 2012 to rmove all fiberwire- restitched up and immobilized for 1 week nwb and then back in boot again for extended period of time. More antibiotics It is still seeping at a small section at the top. Nothing seems to help. Using medihoney now to see if that will do the trick- now there seems to be small white pimples forming on side of incision- if not- possible exploratory surgery again - went to a plastic surgerion for treatment- would not treat as he felt there was still something in there causing the seeping. It continues to be sore and little red at times, and a swelling what would you do
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A persistent non healing surgical wound with seepage is likely to be due to the presence of a foreign body inside.
Even if all the fiberwire has been removed, sometimes it is a small foreign body that is still left inside which is not allowing the wound to dry up.
To find out the exact cause, it would be best to get an MRI scan of the area done before going for an exploratory surgery. This will help in detecting any foreign body and the extent of healing of the ruptured achilles.
You also need to get yourself screened for diabetes as persistent infections are commonly associated with diabetes.
Do get a swab culture of the fluid done so that an appropriate and most effective antibiotic treatment can be started to control the infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Surgery done for rupture achilles. On mediation. Small white pimples appeared. Treatment to be done? 5 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. You are of the same opinion as the plastic surgeon I saw. I see my surgeion in two weeks for follow-up.

My AC1 is within normal limits and my fasting glucose is below 100 and have recently lost 13 pounds. So everything seems fine in that regards. Labs done in XXXXXXX 2012.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Since diabetes is ruled out, a foreign body XXXXXXX inside the wound is likely. Further investigations like MRI will be helpful in detecting cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do keep me informed about the latest developments.