Surgery done for radial fracture. Experiencing pain after stitch removal. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I got operated for radial fracture in my right hand and kwire is placed in the wrist and a plate is implanted at the broken bone. Docs removed my surgery stitches two days back and they look good. Since yesterday I am experiencing pain and liquid sensation around kwire and I can't see what's happening as there is a cast..I stopped taking monocef yesterday... what could be the problem ? Will they remove kwire if there is infection please help am scared..also also will there be any stiches near kwire did they forgot to remove ?
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health related query.

As it seems from the x rays, your surgery has went well and the position of plate, screws and k-wire is in appropriate position. The stiches if you say were healthy at time of removal, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The pain you experience is normal for your stage of fracture union and will eventually go away. The liquid sensation is somewhat out of place and is just a misplaced feeling that one percieves during the presence of plaster cast, maybe or maybe not due to sweat. I'm certain that this sensation will go as well. The antibiotic course must also have completed so do not continue monocef unless advised.

They will definitely remove k-wire if there is physical and laboratory evidence of infection. The clinical signs you must look out for is fever, extreme unbearable pain, inability to move fingers with bluish/ blackish discoloration of nailbed and loss of sensations. If you have any of these do not hesitate to ask them to remove the plaster and explore. At the same time do not be over anxious and allow nature to take its due course of healing. Usually the K-wire is introduced per cutaneously and there are no stiches, which will be evident to you after plaster removal.

I wish you an early recovery and kindly write back for further queries.
Follow-up: Surgery done for radial fracture. Experiencing pain after stitch removal. What is causing this? 8 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply,

As of now I don't experience any fever and I could able to move all my fingers except my Thumb. I am getting slight pain when trying to move my thumb. My fingers are little swollen with very little numbness.

I am getting pain at the edge of kwire guess when its touching the cast inside its still there. I don't know this was not there in past 2 weeks (got operated on 15th..)

Also a question which side of my wrist is displaced ? Would it be normal again ? What care should I take.

Appreciate your help

Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

The description of your symptoms in all respects seem to be on a normal course. The pain I assure you will soon pass away. Just give it some time and it will be alright.

The distal radio ulnar joint (DRUJ) was displaced and with the help of reduction and k-wire fixation it is now held into position. Ofcourse It'll be normal in due time. The precaution you need to take are
1. Avoid re-injury to same part,
2. Avoid lifting heavy objects,
3. Protect it from extreme temperatures,
4. Avoid hanging it down, and most importantly
5. Physiotherapy. (all these after plaster removal).

With all that care in place, all you need to do is wait for healing to complete.
Hope this answers your query.