Surgery done for perianal abscess. Found small lump on buttock. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Hello-
Today I discovered a small, pea sized lump near the top of my butt, under the skin, on the right side. It isn't painful but and I don't think its visible but I can feel it. It seems fairly firm. I am concerned b/c I recently (Jan. 28) had a surgery for a perianal abscess on the same side and I'm afraid that it has returned or I have an infection. I've had a sore throat with a bit of phlegm for a couple of days but don't know if it is related since today is the first time I noticed the bump. I have called my surgeon for an appointment but this being Sunday I won't hear back until at least tomorrow. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Will movement affect it or make it worse? I tried a warm bath for about 20 minutes today. Will do another after work tonight.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 13 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX
I am pleased do be able to assist you with your health query.
If the lump is painless but palpable then it could be a cyst that has formed or a 'silent abscess'. In any case, I do not think you have to worry much as from your description it does not sound problematic. I suggest you just leave the lump as it is until you can see your surgeon.
Movement can not make it worst even though you should avoid sitting or pressing on it till the cause can be identified and treated.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Bernard

Follow-up: Surgery done for perianal abscess. Found small lump on buttock. Should I be worried? 25 hours later
Thank you for your reply. It does help. It seems that the lump has shrunk a bit over the last 24 hours. I've taken several warm baths so perhaps that has helped. If it has indeed gotten smaller, is that a sign that it could be something other than a cyst or "silent abscess"? I am experiencing a bit of back pain that radiates a bit down my right buttock and leg. Could this be related to any type of cyst/abscess? I have a history of low back pain/sciatica on that side and have been sitting more than usual lately so its not all that unusual. Just wondering if its a coincidence or not.

Thanks very much for your response.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

You are welcome. I do not think the low back pain is related to the mass (as you said the low back pain is likely related to the sciatica). If the lump has regressed it means it is likely a silent abscess. Cyst can also regress since they are water filled sacs that could drain out (given an external pressure like you did with the warm water bath or reabsorbs spontaneously). In any case, if regressed then it is a good sign that it would not be any big issues.
Wish you the best and hope this helps.
Dr. Bernard