Surgery done for lung cancer. CT scan normal. Am I exposed to radiation?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi Doctor, I am 56, and was diagnosed with Lung Cancer two years ago, I had surgery to remove a the tumor and a portion of the lung; after the surgery, I had 4 treaments of chemotherapy. The surgery was in October of 2010, the chemotherapy treatment ended on January 31,2011. I have 6 catscans of my lung, all have been normal. My schedule was every 4 months for the cat scans. My pulmonary Doctor recommended that I only get a scan once or twice year. Do you think 3 cat scans per year are necessary or am I being exposed to to much radiation?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 4 hours later

Too frequent scans are generally not recommended. One CT scan a year would be ideal. However, if necessary additional scans may be done (very rarely).

In your situation, I feel that one scan a year would suffice. Please check with your doctor, as he is the best judge.

Do write back if you have more queries.