Surgery done for hiatal hernia. Have gained weight and getting constipation. What's going on?

Jan 2013

I'm on some pills that cause constipation sometimes I had surgery about 14 years ago for a hiatal hernia One of the insinsions is just above my belly button I have gained about15 pounds I f I get constipated I notice the scar tissue beside this insinsions almost feels like a small bulge There is not really any pain I am trying to loose this extra weight My doctor said that it was not a hernia but scar tissue I am wondering why it feels sometimes like a bulge and it doesn't hurt to touch
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the following details:
What medicine are you using for control of blood pressure?
Are you getting any abdominal pain/ mucus discharge/ spasmodic abdominal pain?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Thyroid disorder i.e. Hypothyroidism.
Presence of weight gain, constipation and abdominal distension suggests the diagnosis.
Hypothyroidism is due to deficiency of thyroid hormone and thyroid hormone is associated with maintenance of metabolism of body.
Decreased thyroid hormone level delays all responses in body.
Gastrointestinal motility is also decreased causing persistent abdominal discomfort, abdominal bloating, nausea and vomiting, constipation.

Scar XXXXXXX bulging could be due to localized incisional hernia getting precipitated after constipation and abdominal distension.

Other possibilities could be diabetes and electrolytes disturbances causing constipation and abdominal distension.

You should consult with your treating doctor or XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for thyroid profile, complete blood count, serum electrolytes, blood sugar.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging for better clarification of existence of hernia or not.

Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.
You should also take laxative containing sodium picosulphate and lactitol.
You should take plenty of water along with high fibrous diet.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava