Surgery done for glioblastoma. Having bed sore. On steroids. How long is the life expectancy?

My father is suffering from glioplastoma & finished surgery, RT for 30 days /CT for 12 days. Now the patient is keep on sleeping, having steroid thrice per day[due to edima formation]. He is Having uncontrolled bed sore[8*6 inches]. How his remaining days will go? will he survive? how long? He is in the hospital now. weather we can discharge him now? Just gve prediction about his future. I am deeply worried. Kindly help & advice. wht to do next?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know more about the present situation in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Is he a diabetic? Is it controlled?
2. Is he having an ongoing infection of lung, brain, etc?
3. How is he receiving nutrition?
4. Is he able to move his limbs, recognizing people?
5. Is he on a urinary catheter?
6. Is he having temperature?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish him good health and a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Surgery done for glioblastoma. Having bed sore. On steroids. How long is the life expectancy? 17 hours later
1] Yes doctor, He is diabetic. It is being controlled by insulin & tablets after checking his glucose level twice per day.
2] Edima is getting formed as per the doctor's quote, So, the Khemo therapy also stopped for a while.
3] Protien powder By tube & orally little bit.
4] Not able to move his right side limb which is affected by paralysis. I am not sure that he is recognising people fully. Distant relative, friends he can't recognise. The current circle, he is remembering.
5] Yes, For last 4 months he is on Condom for urinary purpose. Only in ICU periods he is on Catheter.
6] No he is not having temperature.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Thanks for replying

Since he has been in a bed ridden state with pre morbid conditions like diabetes and also secondary skin affection like bed sores I would think that your father is in a very critical condition. The bed sore is one of the biggest risks that he is having right now which can lead to sepsis (infection in the blood stream) which can further worsen the situation by causing multi organ dysfunction. He will require constant medical attention and nursing care. It is very difficult to tell the exact time duration as I have to examine him and also see his reports but I can tell you from the what you have told me that the condition is critical.
I am very sorry to have told you this

If you have any further queries please let me know, I will be happy to answer.

I am once again sorry for taking time to answer, I just came back from the hospital