Surgery done for cervical cyst. Started growing again and causing pain. What to do?

I am a 66-year old woman. About 15 years ago a surgeon tried to remove what he referred to as a fibrous cyst on the back of my neck to the right side of the cervical spine. He became frustrated during surgery because parts of the cyst were intertwined with other tissues and he did not have time to mess around removing them all. So he stitched me up and said he could not get it all. He said it would probably grow back but it was nothing to worry about. Well, it has grown back and now it is causing pain wen I turn my head. What kind of a surgeon should I call to attempt to have it removed? As far as I can tell, the cyst is about 2-incdhes in diameter and protrudes out about 2 centimeters. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 11 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the cervical cyst which is causing pain now due to regrowth even after surgery and removal. What i suggest you would be to XXXXXXX a head and neck surgeon (Many of the ENT specialists are trained in head and neck surgery). They should be in a position to help it out. On occasions, due to lack of surgical skill and on other occasions due to reasons like major blood vessels or nerves in the vicinity, the surgery may remain incomplete leading to regrowth later on. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Surgery done for cervical cyst. Started growing again and causing pain. What to do? 9 minutes later
The head and neck surgeons are ENT people and don't usually deal with the back of the neck. Is there a specialty that deals specifically with such cysts?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
Usually general surgeons are expected to deal with cysts at the back of neck. However, if the cyst is located close to the spine, assistance of a neurosurgeon is recommended.
Dr Sundar