Surgery done for broken tib fib. Noticed swelling and getting pain. Safe remedy?

Dec 2012

exercise for broken legI broke my tib fib and had surgery a rod put in.I am 5 and a weeks into my 6 weeks of recovery. My appointment is Friday and i'm just wondering most of my swelling and pain is going.I've been doing knee exercises and my knee feels good but my ankle is still pretty sore and still a little swollen.What can I do to help my knee and ankle be better
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on HCM

First of all I will like that you should relax and allow the healing process to complete. You need to know that, fracture healing is slow and soft tissue inflammation/damage surrounding the fractures can be a little irritating/painful. If you expect immediate 'miracle' healing, you might be disappointed. Generally bone consolidation can take like 6 months to complete but irritation of the areas surrounding the bone can take years, this because of permanent nerve damages. If you experience some pain, then you will require pain killers to alleviate that.
As for the exercise, you will soon recover from your double fracture and can then be involved gradually in physical exercises (including walking, running, hiking, swimming etc). For now, you can do some sit down exercises aimed at stretching your leg muscles ( they should be gradual and not intense so as not to cause another fracture again).
My advice is to keep cool and do exercises gradually and allow for complete bone consolidation before you can engage in intense physical exercises.

Hope this helps and write back if you need more info

Dr Nsah