Surgery done for bleeding lump on arm. Taking antibiotic. Experiencing pain. Effective remedy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My daughter had a lump under her arm which opened up and started bleeding oozing a smelly discharge she had surgery and it came back worse she had 3 openings that formed together after 9 months on antibiotic and creams the infection cleared so my md sent us to a plastic surgeon right away the surgeon said only way to insure they won't return is to remove sweat gland and tissues around it taking a flap from her back to cover it so we said ok 2 weeks later it collapse so she went in for yet another surgery this time instead of using a sling he out her in a splint I insisted leaving it on for 2 weeks he wanted to take it off after one but he left it for 2 along with a pik and a drain going into 3 rd week she is complaining of pain which she really never complained of till now going back to dr XXXXXXX I am really scared that it might have collapsed again is their another way to go with this
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

What i gather from your information is that your daughter had some infected area under her arm

Now that it has turned in to a non healing sinus, it needs to be taken for a histopathology examination to rule out any form of chronic infections

Also a good culture report will help

We would rather scrap off the dead tissue and leave the wound open till discharge ends and then go for a secondary repair and/or a flap

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Surgery done for bleeding lump on arm. Taking antibiotic. Experiencing pain. Effective remedy? 24 minutes later
I tried your way it never closed just hot worse between tissues oozing and bleeding her arm started to seal in a position not allowing her to lift her arm it was like one big hole and all raw so they suggested I see a plastic surgeon after 16 dr finally found one who said all that could be done gurantting it wouldn't return was to remove sweat glands only way guaranteeing it to close

I do understand the situation, removing sweat glands would help but because it is collapsing I would go for a histopathology of the removed tissue and/or culture of the discharge before I plan any definitive surgery

There will be fibrosis if you allow it to heal as such, flap will help but done after all infections have been settled

Hope this clears your doubts

Wishing your daughter a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Surgery done for bleeding lump on arm. Taking antibiotic. Experiencing pain. Effective remedy? 22 hours later
They did a culture and it came back fine we waited 9 months after antibiotics and creams it showed no infections but tissues started healing the arm to her side where she couldn't lift it or move it apart from her side without ripping it apart causing great pain and bleeding so dr said nows the time it stopped draining so he sent us to plastic surgeon not happy about any if this 2 flap surgeries later into 3rd week and flap in front has scar tissues going out of my mind her other under arm has 3 slits already what is your suggestion to close other sores without flap surgery she been on antibiotic antibiotic creams nothing helping was gonna get aloe gel to see if it will close it

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 32 hours later
Hi

Sorry to learn about the state of affairs and being late as had been out of town for a conference

It is very unfortunate that the flap surgeries have not helped

As far as the slits are concerned if there is no discharge you may go for any good dressing gels available and I personally would prefer feracryllum gel, don't know if it is available in your area or not

A good physiotherapy along with should help

Hope this helps
Do write back if need be
Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery