Sunburn on the head with clear watery discharge. Applying aloe vera. No fever. Need cure

Question
I developed a sunburn on the top of my head which has been balding for the past few years and on my forehead, most likely due to riding in my car with the sunroof open yesterday. For the past 12 hours there are 2 spots on my forehead and one spot on top of my head which continues to ooze clear watery liquid. These spots do not appear to be blisters. I am drinking lots of water and applying aloe vera continuously. I have not had any pain associated with the sunburn, at least not yet. Not running a fever or anything like that. Is there anything else I should be doing? It is not convenient for me at this time to see a doctor and I'm hopeful it will clear up on it's own. What would your advice to me be? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Sun Burn

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Follow these treatment measures for relief from sunburns:

1)     For sunburn, apply aloe or calamine lotion on the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Make sure not to apply butter, vaseline or oil to any burn.

2)     Apply cool compresses on the area and take bath with cool(not very cold) water. Do not scrub your skin or shave your skin and use a soft towel and gently XXXXXXX your skin dry.

3)     You can apply silver sulfadiazine (1% cream) on the skin except face and see if it helps. Application of topical antibiotics like Bactroban also helps in preventing infection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Sunburn on the head with clear watery discharge. Applying aloe vera. No fever. Need cure 13 hours later
The top half of my forehead has now swollen up and I've developed a pressure headache. top of head continues to ooze liquids. Is this normal and will the swelling go down on its own. I mostly just don't want any infection to occur. Hopefully its all normal and part of the healing process. Would an anti-biotic be helpful?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me with the additional information.

The swelling will go down in a few days. You can take some like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac after prescription. Application of topical antibiotics mentioned above will help in quick healing. Drink extra fluids for a few days and completely cover sunburned areas when going outside.