Sunburn on legs, purple blotches, pain, pregnant

I was at the beach for around 2 hours and now have a bad sunburn on my legs. Today is the third day and I started to get purple blotches on my calf, I still have red around the blotches. Since waking up on the second day i have had alot of pain while walking on this leg. I have been applying some aloe and mostly baby lotion. I am 28 weeks pregnant and not sure if I should go see the doctor.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. Sun burn are due to the excessive exposure of the skin to the XXXXXXX Ultra violet radiation from the sun.

For sun burns in pregnancy, apply cool compresses on the area and take bath with cool (not very cold) water. Do not scrub or shave your skin and use a soft towel and gently XXXXXXX your skin dry. Also use a cream containing aloe vera which you have been doing and a light moisturizer or a dusting powder to relieve chafing.

For the pain you can take doctor because any medication should be taken only under medical supervision in pregnancy. Stay out of the sun till your skin gets healed and drink plenty of fluids. You have to consult a doctor for the prescription of pain killers.

Please ensure that you do not apply Lidocaine or Benzocaine ointments which are not safe in pregnancy until prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.